Thursday, January 8, 2015

Top 10 Books Every Christian Should Read

Goooood frigid Thursday morning Church!!! lol  It's freezing cold out there!  I think it was -5 when I woke up.  Too cold for me!  How about you?  Do you like the cold?  What do you think about Winter?  Well, I can tell you that Winter could be officially over today and on with Spring!

But enough of that! Time to get to the point at hand!  Last week I posted a rebuttal of sorts on Kneel Degrassi Tyson's list of books people should be reading. So I challenged you all to send me a list of what you think Christians should be reading and I got a boat load of books that you suggested!  In your posts you mentioned many of the books I have on my list so I will post them at the end of this blog for readers to peruse and perhaps engage.  Let's take a look at the list I believe all Christians should read...or at least have in their library.  Let's assume for #1 that it should be the Bible.  If you are not reading it, all the rest of the books listed below are not going to have the impact on your life that it should.  However, for this list  I tried to limit the list to 8 but could not do it so...here are...

The Top 12 Book Every Christian Should Read (2 ties)

1.)  Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
2.)  The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
3.)  The Grace Awakening by Chuck Swindoll
4.)  How Should We Then Live? by Francis Schaeffer
5.)  Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
6.)  Love Your God With All Your Mind by J.P. Moreland
7.)  (Tie)  Jesus Freaks: Martyrs by DC Talk/Foxes Book of Martyrs by John Foxe
8.)  The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur
9.)  (Tie)  The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan/The Shack by William P. Young
10.)  Heaven by Randy Alcorn

Agree or disagree?  What would you add?  What would you take away?  Here is a list of other books that some readers have added and I added a few too:

The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God by A.W. Tozer
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
My Utmost for His Highest (devotional) by Oswald Chambers
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (my recommendation)
Pagan Christianity by George Barna and Frank Viola (also my recommendation)
Already Gone by Ken Ham
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Reasonable Faith by William Land Craig

What about this list from readers?  What's in YOUR library?  What are YOU reading...that is beside the Word of God?  Do you read the Bible all the way through or just hit and miss?  Do you have a reading plan or just whatever tickles your fancy?  How do you read God's Word?  Lots of questions I know...

Here's a clue as to what we will be looking at next week.  I will respond to your comments but then I will list the top 10 History Books that you should have read or should be reading.  As a history teacher for 28 years, I think I have a good handle on this.  There are a few surprises on this list too.

Thanks for reading.  Hope you get something from all of this...even if its just a good argument.  lol  Have a great and safe and warm Thursday Church...and as always Pray for Each Other.
Love you guys... Pastor Chuck


No comments:

Post a Comment