Saturday, January 31, 2015

Life @ 60!

I was born on January 26, 1955.

To some of our young folks out there, I am a part of ancient American history, maybe even lived with the Neanderthals!  Truth is, I really don't feel a day over ...30... sometimes! Even though I was born soooo long ago, I do not feel like I have been cheated from anything society, culture, or life has thrown my way.  In fact, I feel like I have been blessed beyond measure!

At my age, I can look back on my life and the events that have shaped us in our world today and honestly say that I understand my life on Earth, and have been blessed to witness history and prophecy unfolding before my very eyes!  I have seen the great and powerful events that have shaped us into who we are today.  I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated.  I know where I was when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon.  I remember when microwaves first came on store shelves, and cell phones became all the rage, and yes, even the commercialization of the internet.

And we have been blessed by those wonders. Yet, we slide from day to day without taking a moment to thank our Creator for giving us the knowledge and wisdom to be able to have and use each piece of technology that blesses our very lives.  If you don't think that these things are that important to you, let your electricity go out for a day or so.  You will wonder how early man survived!  Right Kate!

I have been blessed to see my children have children.  In fact, if I knew that grandkids were that much fun, I would have had them first!  Joe, Laila, Wyatt, Zander and Lily are the jewels in my crown!  I am concerned what kind of life they will have and how the world will treat them. That's why it is most important, imperative numeral uno, that they get to know the Jesus I know.  MOST important!! And, I don't care if they turn out to be Methodist, Pentecostal, Republican, Democrat, or Baptist, as long as I know they have a relationship with the Christ.

As my life is concerned, I have witnessed just about everything under the sun.  The year I was born found Elvis crooning, Bill Haley "Rock(ing) around the Clock", Disneyland in California opened, Ray Croc started McDonalds, Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat, "In God We Trust" was first printed on money, and the yearly inflation rate was 1/4th of 1%! (imagine that!)

These things also have influenced me since I was a kid:
*  I had a paper route.  For those of you who do not know what that is...too bad...Google it!
*  I am a lefty!  Breaking your arm 3 times from the first grade through the 3rd grade will  not help you become a righty!  Its all in the mind!  That plus the fact that I failed penmanship until I was in the 4th grade! lol
*  We had the first color TV on the block! We were very popular with kids and adults when Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeanie, Batman, and Superman became color TV shows!
*  We moved from Martins Ferry to Massillon.  I became a Massillon Tiger and still bleed Orange and Black.
*  As a teenager, I remember Roe v. Wade, but did not understand then its nature.
*  As a teenager, I remember Viet Nam.  I was drafted but did not have to go since they repealed the
    draft my senior year.
*  Vacations to Virginia Beach were family time.  It included staying at family's homes, Spam,baked beans and cheese sandwiches, and lots of beach time!
*  The first time I put gas into the family car it was 19.9 cents a gallon at SOHIO (now BP)
*  No one really likes Brussel Sprouts...they eat them because they want to torment me!!  Yeck!!!

There is much more to say. You can look up what bread or milk cost, Big Macs (88 cents), and all those insignificant things, but the most important thing I can tell you about being 60 is that it is the best time in my life!  I have a great wife, a great family, a great ministry with great people, and a great place to life.  In fact, the 5 greatest things in my life are:
1.)  Being born on January 26, 1955 and being born into the Kingdom of Heaven on July 17, 1980
2.)  Being married to Tamie on August 8, 1981
3.)  Having 3 wonderful children:  Jeremy, Sara, and Katie with 3 wonderful spouses:  Katie, Tommy, and Jimmy
4.)  Having 5 grandkids and counting on more:  Joe, Laila, Wyatt, Zander, and Lily!
5.)  Having the privilege of ministering the Gospel to the people of Carroll County.

Yes, there are more...but these 5 take precedence over the remaining 10,000 or so things that have happened in my life.

What's it like to be 60?  Is it really the new 40?  Yes, and no...but...Stay tuned...As the old black and white TV shows used to say, "For more exciting adventures, stay tuned to this channel!"

So, you all hang in there.  Pray for each other.  And, by all means, go to church.  I can recommend a great one but don't go alone...take your family with you!

I hope you can come out to the Soup Supper and VBS auction tonight!  Don't forget...bring your checkbook...most important!!!  Hope to see you there!

Pastor Chuck
Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment